ACADEMIC STRATEGIES PROGRAM
Instruction DESIGNED TO UNLOCK POTENTIAL
The holistic approach used in our Academic Strategies Program (ASP) reaches far beyond the classroom. We have the unique opportunity to impact all aspects of the student’s life. The vision of the program is not only to help students achieve academically, but also grow into self-determined young women who are confident in their skills and abilities.
The Academic Strategies Program (ASP) is available to all Oldfields students and serves as additional support outside the regular classroom. The goal is to accelerate each girl’s learning by providing an individualized program that recognizes talents while helping her to acquire the skills and strategies to become an independent and successful lifelong learner.
The Academic Strategies Program is designed to fit seamlessly into each student’s schedule to better serve her at every stage of her educational experience. Levels and types of support depend entirely on specific needs as presented by outside evaluators, teachers, parents, and the student herself. Each scheduled one-on-one session will incorporate these program components:
- Academic Coaching helps students develop the executive functions they need to be successful. Time-management is supported through goal setting and advance planning while students also learn how to organize their materials, resources, and ideas to meet those goals. The mission of the Academic Strategies Program is for students to internalize this instruction to develop self-discipline and motivation.
- Strategy Instruction is individualized for each girl in the program. Past educational testing, teacher evaluations, parent input, and most importantly, each girl’s assessment of her own needs are used to formulate this plan The student's academic coach is in constant communication with her classroom teachers to ensure the implementation of the most effective strategies and resources that best fit the student. Strategy instruction may include
- Memory skills
- Writing tools
- Problem solving methods
- Note taking and project outlining
- Organizational skills
- Time management techniques
- Basic Skills Reinforcement offers students the opportunity to practice skills that may have been previously presented but underutilized. Improving these skills allows students to be better prepared to meet their current academic expectations with greater ease and confidence.
- Self-advocacy is encouraged as the ASP team evaluates each girl’s learning style. Once a student understands how she learns, it is much easier for her to understand the value of specific strategies, and this metacognition or “knowledge-of-self” is priceless. We work with each girl to develop a voice, be proactive, and better communicate her specific needs with teachers or other people in her life who could impact her future.
By offering flexible movement between the tiers in the Academic Strategies Program, each girl receives exactly the support she needs, exactly when she needs it.
Includes direct instruction on organization, time management, study skills, self-advocacy, test-taking techniques, and critical reading and writing skills.
The cost shown above is for the 2019-2020 school year.