5. EMERGENCY CARE: Oldfields agrees to make every effort to contact the Owners, at the emergency telephone number listed below, should Oldfields feel that medical treatment is needed for the horse(s); provided, however, that in the event Oldfields is unable to contact Owners within a reasonable time, Owners hereby authorize Oldfields to secure emergency veterinary care and/or blacksmith care as Oldfields determines is required for the health and well-being of the horse(s). Oldfields also retains the right in its discretion to request that a veterinarian examine any horse, if Oldfields decides it is necessary or appropriate to do so. The cost of all such care secured, pursuant to this Section, if not directly billed by provider to Owners, shall be due and deducted directly from the Student’s debit account.
- A. Owner shall notify Oldfields in advance of the horse(s)’ arrival date and time. Please call Director of Riding Amy Phillips at 443-955-9602 to confirm arrival information.
- B. All horses should arrive with properly-fitting and well-labeled tack, waterproof turnout sheet, waterproof turn out blankets (mid-weight and heavy-weight), halter, grooming equipment, full set of leg wraps (quilts and bandages), boots and/or bell boots if required for riding and turn out, one week supply of grain, and two week supply of supplements if appropriate. Supplements and any other forms of joint support and gastrointestinal support are not included in board and will be billed to the Student’s debit account.
- C. Students who board their horses at Oldfields must actively participate in the Riding Program throughout the year. Their horse must be suitable for the structure of the program and participate with the Student in the program. Students may not board their horses at Oldfields without being enrolled in the Riding Program.
- D. Owners understand and agree that they must abide by all barn and riding rules adopted by Oldfields at any time, that the Student will follow the instructions and directions of barn staff at all times, and that the privilege of boarding a horse at the School may be withdrawn at any time and for any reason, at the discretion of the School.
7. RISK OF LOSS. During the time that the horse(s) is/are in the custody of Oldfields, AND THEREAFTER, Oldfields AND ITS EMPLOYEES, ADMINISTRATORS, FACULTY, STAFF, CONTRACTORS, AGENTS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, INSURERS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND ASSIGNS, shall not be liable for any sickness, disease, estray, theft, death, or injury which may be suffered by the horse(s), NOR SHALL THEY BE LIABLE FOR ANY OTHER CAUSE OF ACTION WHATSOEVER ARISING OUT OF OR BEING CONNECTED WITH THE BOARDING OF THE HORSE(S).
The Owners fully understand that Oldfields does not carry insurance on a horse(s) not owned by the School for any purpose, whether public liability, accidental injury, theft, or equine mortality insurance, and that all risks connected with boarding or for any other reason for which the horse(s) is/are in the possession, and on the premises, of Oldfields are to be borne by the Owner. Oldfields strongly recommends that the Owners insure their horse(s) for major medical and mortality.
8. PROPERTY IN STORAGE ON OLDFIELDS’ PREMISES. Owner may store certain tack and equipment on the premises of Oldfields. However, Oldfields shall not be responsible for the theft, loss, damage, or disappearance of any of the foregoing, all of which is stored at Owners’ risk. Oldfields strongly recommends that the Owners secure their equipment in a tack trunk.
9. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK. The Riding Student (and, if applicable, the Student’s Parents/Guardians) acknowledge that there are numerous risks inherent in any horse-related activity such as those described below, and hereby expressly assumes all risks associated with participating in such activities. The inherent risks include, but are not limited to, (i) the possibility that a horse may run, buck, bite, kick, shy, stumble, abruptly change direction, stop short, rear, fall, or step on something, even if the horse has no known history of these behaviors, which may result in an injury, harm, or death to persons on or around them; (ii) the unpredictability of a horse’s reaction to such things as sound, sudden movement, and unfamiliar objects, persons or animals; (iii) certain man-made and naturally occurring hazards such as ground and subsurface conditions; (iv) collisions with other animals; and (v) the potential of another rider or other person to act in a negligent manner that may contribute to injury to the participant or others, such as failing to maintain control over a horse or acting beyond such rider’s ability.
Riding Student (and her Parents/Guardians) acknowledges that the Student is solely responsible for her own protection and for control of the horse on which she rides, on or off the School’s property, including but not limited to the Student’s own horse, a School-owned horse, or any other horse boarded at Oldfields School. STUDENT, AND HER PARENTS/GUARDIANS, ASSUME ALL RISKS IN CONNECTION WITH TAKING PART IN THIS ACTIVITY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVE AND RELEASE ANY CLAIMS AGAINST OLDFIELDS, ITS EMPLOYEES, ADMINISTRATORS, FACULTY, STAFF, CONTRACTORS, AGENTS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, INSURERS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND ASSIGNS, FOR INJURY (INCLUDING DEATH), ILLNESS, DAMAGES, OR OTHER LOSS ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO ANY WAY THE STUDENT’S PARTICIPATION IN OLDFIELDS’ RIDING PROGRAM, OR THE RIDING OF (WHETHER ON OR OFF OLDFIELDS’ PROPERTY), OR THE USE OF (OR PRESENCE UPON) OLDFIELDS’ PROPERTY, OR THE USE OF SERVICES OR FACILITIES OF OLDFIELDS, EXCEPT IF THE INJURY, DAMAGE, OR LOSS RESULTS FROM OLDFIELDS’ GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILLFUL AND WANTON MISCONDUCT.
INDEMNIFICATION AND HOLD HARMLESS.RIDING STUDENT AND HER PARENTS/GUARDIANS AGREE TO HOLD HARMLESS, INDEMNIFY, AND DEFEND OLDFIELDS AND ITS EMPLOYEES, ADMINISTRATORS, FACULTY, STAFF, CONTRACTORS, AGENTS, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, INSURERS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND ASSIGNS, AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, DEMANDS, CAUSES OF ACTION, DAMAGES, JUDGMENTS, ORDERS, COSTS, AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING ATTORNEY’S FEES AND COSTS, BROUGHT BY ANY THIRD PARTY AND WHICH IN ANY WAY IS RELATED TO OR ARISES FROM, OR IS CONNECTED WITH, THE STUDENT’S PARTICIPATION IN OLDFIELDS’ RIDING PROGRAM OR THE RIDING OF ANY HORSE (WHETHER ON OR OFF OLDFIELDS’ PROPERTY), OR THE USE OF SERVICES OR FACILITIES OF OLDFIELDS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY INJURY, ILLNESS, OR DEATH OR LOSS SUFFERED BY ANY FAMILY MEMBER OF, OR SPECTATOR ACCOMPANYING, THE STUDENT, EXCEPT IF THE INJURY, DAMAGE, OR LOSS RESULTS FROM OLDFIELDS’ GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR WILLFUL AND WANTON MISCONDUCT, ALL REGARDLESS OF ANY STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS OR CONTRACTUAL LIMITATION OF ACTIONS.
10. WAIVER OF ALL CLAIMS.The Riding Student and her Parents/Guardians waive the protection of any applicable statute in Maryland, the purpose, substance and/or effect of which would otherwise provide that a general release shall not extend to claims not known or capable of being known to exist at the time of execution of the release.
11. APPLICABLE LAW. This Contract shall be interpreted in accordance with the laws of the State of Maryland.Any dispute arising out of or relating to this Contract or the Student’s taking part in the riding program at Oldfields shall be brought exclusively in the state courts of Baltimore County, Maryland, or the U.S. District Court in Baltimore, Maryland, each party hereby consenting to the exercise of personal jurisdiction by such courts
12. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This Contract represents the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof. No other agreement, promises or representations, oral or written, and included herein if not specifically stated herein. If any court deems any provision of this Contract to be unenforceable, such court is directed to modify such provision only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable, and shall enforce this Contract to the fullest extent possible.
RIDER shall take all responsibility for wearing an SEI/ASTM approved helmet, with the chin strap fastened, at all times while receiving instruction from Oldfields or while mounted or off Oldfields’ property while participating in any aspect of the Oldfields Riding Program.
If you have any questions, please contact Amy Phillips, Director of Riding, at email@example.com.
This Contract is effective as of the date it is signed by Oldfields.